Saturday, March 13, 2010

Jury Duty

I don't usually rant. I'm not much of a ranter. But, this is kinda pissing me off. I've been called for jury duty and I don't want to go.

Jurors are randomly selected from the pool of registered voters in my county. This is the fourth time I've been called in my 25 years of voting. Can I UNregister to vote?

It's not that I'm not patriotic, I love the good ol' USA. It's just a big pain in the arse to do this. For starters, I don't drive. My wife will drop me off at the courthouse before she goes to work. Which means I will be there over an hour early. I have to call her when I'm done. She'll have to leave work to pick me up.

Also, having to interact with people I don't know makes me very uncomfortable. I don't even like to call to order a pizza. I'll probably get myself all worked up and vomit.

It says this in big, bold and underlined letters on the summons --

FAILURE TO RESPOND TO SUMMONS OR APPEAR FOR JURY DUTY WILL SUBJECT YOU TO POSSIBLE CONTEMPT OF COURT PROCEEDINGS OR FINE AS PROVIDED BY OHIO LAW

I can't believe that in this day and age I am being bullied by the government to do something against my will! Whatever.

End of rant.

3 comments:

David said...

I sympathise with your plight. While my blog is new, maybe there's enough material there to help you through this. Good-luck.

Jeremy H. said...

YOU HAVE WON THE CONTENT AWARD...
for the best content for the month of March.

Now I know what you are saying, yet another award... I come to
your place everyday and have a couple of blogs myself... and
thought since everyone gives out awards i would give you one...

Please stop by and collect your Prize!

thank you!
Jeremy
[2vs8]

Unknown said...

"I can't believe that in this day and age I am being bullied by the government to do something against my will!"

Have you gotten your 2010 Census yet? The envelope has a comment that you are required by law to fill out the census. Personally, that just makes me want to throw it out. If you don't respond they'll send you a second form. You don't respond to that and "residents can expect a personal visit from a census taker some time after March 2010".

Here's the actual law off the Census website:

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.