Friday, October 28, 2016

R.I.P. John Zacherle


Sad news. Legendary horror host Zacherley has died. I met him at the Monster Bash back in 2006. 

"Good night, whatever you are!"

Zacherley and me.
From the WFMU blog:

The great John Zacherle, known to generations of horror fans as Zacherley, "The Cool Ghoul," has passed away at 98. The news came tonight as author Tom Weaver, a close friend of the Zacherle family, began informing colleagues of the the sad news, and an outpouring of tributes has already begun across the internet. 

A veteran of World War II, Zacherle started working at WCAU in Philadelphia in 1954, and in 1957, he got the job of being Philly's first late night horror movie host on Shock Theater, creating the character of Roland (pronounced Ro-LAND), who talked to his dead wife in her coffin. An association with Dick Clark, whose American Bandstand was based in Philadelphia, led to the recording of "Dinner With Drac" in 1958. He moved to New York's WABC in '59, became known as Zacherley and his show was renamed Zacherley At Large. He later hosted the Newark teenage dance show Disc-O-Teen, and was a DJ on WNEW and then WPLJ, where he stayed for ten years. 

Considered by many to be the greatest TV horror host of all-time, Zacherele has spent the last several decades appearing on TV, radio, and film and making personal appearances at conventions and special events. 

When I went to take a picture of his banner, he put his hand in the air. :)

I had him autograph his classic Monster Mash album

I bought his new CD at the time and he autographed it, also.

5 comments:

Phillyradiogeek said...

Wow, that sucks, but what a great life and career! Rest in peace!

Does it seem kind of fitting that his passing would take place during the Halloween season?

Anonymous said...

The news brought tears to my eyes. So many memories, from watching him as a kid, to his stint on WNEW FM radio in New York in the late 60's-early 70's, to the nostalgia of the Chiller Conventions in New Jersey. Zac was always there. I will miss him greatly, and remember him fondly.

Dex said...

And 2016 claims another legend...

It's absolutely fitting that he passed so close to Halloween. Rock In Peace, Zacherle!

Dr. Theda said...

We are greatly saddened by this news... he just had his Birthday (27th of last month)...
Though his "Prime" was before my days... we have grown to greatly admire him in more recent years...
... and his best known "good bye".... "Goodnight, Whatever You Are"....

Eva-lushun said...

I'd know him since I was 6. He also was a DJ on WPLJ, where I grew up as my step-dad worked there from the time I was 6-16. RIP dear Zach. xoxoxox The graveyard is a richer place with you in it!