Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Cosmic Christmas

I remember seeing this special when it first aired in the US. I had forgotten about it until sometime in the late 80s when I tried to find it on VHS. The only problem was I couldn't remember the name of it. I searched used video dealers for years at flea markets and never found it. Jump to the early 2000s when I got my first computer. I finally found out what it was called only to discover that it was released on VHS in the 80s and was incredibly hard to find for a decent price. Thank God for YouTube.

From the Wikipedia entry A Cosmic Christmas --

A Cosmic Christmas is the first television special produced by the Canadian animation company, Nelvana. It premiered on December 4, 1977 in Canada on CBC Television.

From the Wikipedia entry Nelvana --

Nelvana worked on their first television specials: A Cosmic Christmas (1977), The Devil and Daniel Mouse (1978), Please Don't Eat the Planet (better known by its subtitle, Intergalactic Thanksgiving) (1979), Romie-0 and Julie-8 (1979), Easter Fever (1980) and Take Me Up to the Ball Game (1980). During that time, George Lucas, an aficionado of their work, commissioned the company to work on a 10-minute sequence for the CBS TV film, The Star Wars Holiday Special. This short scene, officially entitled "The Faithful Wookiee", would introduce audiences to the villainous bounty hunter Boba Fett, who would make his first theatrical appearance in 1980's The Empire Strikes Back.

Watch the full special below in three parts --





3 comments:

Phillyradiogeek said...

It's trippy as hell, isn't it? I found it to be almost scary when I was a kid, but now I appreciate it for the same reasons it creeped me out then. I kinda feel that way about all of these early Nelvana cartoons.

In fact, I'll be featuring one tomorrow at my blog. Stay tuned!

Stephen said...

Yeah, I was thinking about this one recently. I think it's time my kids see it.

Michael Jones said...

My friend and I were talking about this the other day. I am so scamming it for my blog (with credit.) My favourite Nelvana is "Take me up to the ballgame." Recommended.