Sunday, May 30, 2010

Some Like It Hoth

There are a ton of Star Wars references in Lost. Especially the episode "Some Like It Hoth". It was the 13th episode of Season 5 and was originally broadcasted on April 15, 2009. 

What you need to know: some of the castaways were time traveling and ended up in the 1970s.

Here are the Star Wars scenes from the transcripts courtesy of Lostpedia --

[Miles's blue DHARMA van cruises down a dirt path cut through the vegetation on the Island. Albert Hammond's "It Never Rains In Southern California" plays on the DHARMA van's stereo. Hurley sits in the passenger seat, scribbling in a DHARMA Initiative brand composition notebook. The logo on the notebook figures an apple on a stack of books. The logo on Hurley's jumpsuit patch shows a chef's hat over a crossed knife and fork.]

STEREO: Got on board a westbound 747...

HURLEY: How do you spell "bounty hunter"?

MILES: What are you doing, writing your memoirs?

[Hurley defensively snaps the composition book closed.]

HURLEY: It's personal.

[Hurley goes back to writing. Later, he looks up at Miles again.]

______________________________________________________


MILES: You want to get into my business?

[Miles snatches the composition book away from Hurley.]

MILES: Let's get into yours!

HURLEY: Give that back to me.

MILES: How about we read your little diary?

HURLEY: It's not a diary! It's personal!!

[Miles gets out of the van. Hurley gets out, chasing him.]

MILES: Let's see what's going on--

HURLEY: Give that--give that back to me.

MILES: --in that piece of granite you call a head.

HURLEY: Give it back!

MILES: "Exterior--Hoth. A little spy robot thingy zips through the atmosphere and crashes into the snowy planet below. That's when Chewbacca shows up and blasts it away with his crossbow laser. He shakes his fury fist in the sky in triumph. Chewbacca--Raaar."

HURLEY: [Embarrassedly] It's "furry." "Furry fist." I need a spell-check.

MILES: What the hell is this?

HURLEY: I'm writing Empire Strikes Back.

MILES: Uh... I'm sorry. What?

HURLEY: It's 1977, right?

[Miles nods.]

HURLEY: So Stars Wars just came out. And pretty soon, George Lucas is gonna be looking for a sequel. I've seen Empire, like, 200 times, so I figured I'd make life easier and send him the script... with a couple improvements.

MILES: That has gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

HURLEY: Oh, yeah? Well, at least I'm not scared to talk to my own dad.

[Hurley snatches his composition book back and gets back in the van.]

______________________________________________________


HURLEY: I used to hate my dad, too.

MILES: Yeah?

HURLEY: He left when I was 10. But the best thing I ever did was give him a second chance. We got to be the best of friends, and although I may never see him again, I miss him. And I know he feels the same.

MILES: My dad didn't leave when I was 10. I--I was a baby. I never knew him. And I don't want to. It's not happening.

[Hurley removes the gas pump and recaps the van's fuel port.]

HURLEY: That was Luke's attitude, too.

MILES: What?

HURLEY: In Empire, Luke found out Vader was his father, but instead of putting away his lightsaber and talking about it, he overreacted and got his hand cut off. I mean, they worked it out eventually, but at what cost? Another Death Star was destroyed, Boba Fett got eaten by the Sarlacc, and we got the Ewoks. It all could've been avoided if they'd just, you know, communicated. And let's face it. The Ewoks sucked, dude.

3 comments:

Michael Jones said...

I can't be certain, but surely Sawyer must have called Hurley, "Jabba" at some point.

Erick said...

Yes he does. In the episode "Fire + Water". The 12th episode of the 2nd season. Originally broadcast January 25, 2006.

Michael Jones said...

Thanks Erick, I knew someone would come to my rescue.