Sunday, October 16, 2022

R.I.P. Ted White


From Bloody Disgusting -- 

Best known to horror fans for playing Jason Voorhees in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, we’ve learned the sad news tonight that actor/stuntman Ted White has passed away.

Ted White was 96 years old.



Convention All Stars owner Sean Clark writes on social media tonight, “As I’m here setting up at Monsterpalooza I just got hit with the news that my dear friend Ted White has passed away. I was told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at his home.

“I’ve had the pleasure of knowing him and working with him for close to 20 years. He was my adopted grandpa and hands down the best storyteller you could have ever met. If you haven’t read it yet check out his book Cast a Giant Shadow where many of those stories are told. I was honored to be mentioned in the book when he wrote about his time in the convention world. I am going to miss you immensely and those steak dinners we always had. Also teasing you about your red, white & blue banner that made you look like you were running for President.

“My heart goes out to his wife Jeri and his sons. It was an absolute honor my friend. Rest easy. Love you Ted.”



Ted White doubled for everyone from Clark Gable to John Wayne and Lee Marvin, and many horror fans consider his Jason Voorhees to be the definitive depiction of the character.

In addition to Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Ted White also did stunt work for countless films including Creature from the Black Lagoon, Giant, Rio Bravo, Planet of the Apes, King Kong, The Manitou, Escape from New York, Road House, and Gone in 60 Seconds, and as an actor he appeared in TRON, Romancing the Stone, Starman, The Hidden, and “The X-Files.”

All of us here at BD send our deepest condolences to Ted’s family, friends, and colleagues.




2 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Sad, he was a great Jason. Good long life, though.

Erick said...

I read that he was the oldest person to portray Jason. I think he was 58 or 59 at the time.